rebuilding...restoring...renewing

Friday, July 07, 2006

Worthy of a crown!

My tooth has been bugging me for a while now. It started aching a while ago, while I was back in England. I found an emergency dentist and he started some root canal work on the tooth but informed me that I would need to have the work completed back in Canada.
So I've been back in Canada for two months and like most people who dislike dental procedures, I put off having the work done. Consequently, the pain is back and worse than ever! So I went to the dentist again.
After an x-ray and some poking with a sharp stick, the dentist told me that I would probably need the root canal completing. He talked about the root canal procedure, which if you're sqeamish, you might not want to read. It involved opening the tooth and draining the infection from inside, then doing some complicated work over a couple of appointments and ultimately a 'small pole' would be inserted inside the tooth to give it strength into the root. (A 'small pole'??? What was the alternative? A curtain rod??) Finally, after all the work is complete and after a bit of waiting to make sure everything is ok, I was told they would want to 'crown' the tooth.
He then told me the cost of this option, which basically involved me giving them my firtborn child, or one of my arms and one of my legs, or something in the region of $1600...yes SIXTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!
He then added that the other option was to have the tooth extracted for about $80, but he was quick to add that the offending tooth was still 'saveable'.
Well I'll leave it to your best guess about which option I chose, but I love looking at life and finding little nuggets of gold in the simple analogies. This one's a beauty!

I am a tooth. God looked at me and said "Hmmmm...this one's definitely saveable. All I need to do is open him up, drain the bad stuff from inside. Then I can do my work over time, and leave something inside him to give additional strength. And then when I've finished and surveyed my work....I think I'll give this one a crown."

Enough said?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Very nice Ryan!
May your tooth be extracted in peace..

3:51 p.m.

 
Blogger Agent of Renewal said...

From a Brit, David Frost:

"In hell there will be weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth."

"What if I don't have teeth"

"Teeth will be provided!"

Toothless in London, full of heart for God and others...keep going for it mate.

david

9:05 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home