rebuilding...restoring...renewing

Monday, November 27, 2006

Fight Fear

"The matter is difficult to put into words. For fear, real fear, such as shakes you to your foundation, such as you feel when you are brought face to face with your mortal end, nestles in your memory like a gangrene: it seeks to rot everything, even the words with which to speak of it. So you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you." -Yann Martel "Life of Pi"

Sort of like speaking things out so that they can be brought in the light instead of festering in the darkness...
Thoughts...

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Hmmm...I can relate to this. I've lost count of the number of times someone would say to me "Ryan, you shouldn't bottle things up so much". (Maybe less now than in my teenage years!)
I now know that I need to be honest with myself about my fears and willing to open my heart and mind to the people I trust, before I can be effective in speaking words of light into the darkness of other people's lives.
I hesitate to say I need to do one before the other, because I don't believe that I must have everything "in order" before I can impact others. (It makes me sad when I hear people say, "I'll come back to God once I get everything else sorted out".) But the order is significant. Am I making sense?
I think that when I'm open about that fears that inhibit me, I often find comfort and peace, even if only in the fact that I was never alone in those fears!

11:47 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home