rebuilding...restoring...renewing

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Arrows and Olives

I've been slowly progressing through the Psalms and often find myself chewing on the food offered there.

Psalm 127:3-4 declares that,
"Children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth."

Recently I started working in the courts. There I see many young people whose lives are in chaos due to bad choices, disintegrating families and other causes. In the court room some of these kids dis the crown or other authority figures. One kid was actually taken down by a security guard for poor behaviour.
As I looked at these kids I thought of how they are arrows. These arrows have been shaped, fashioned and trained by someone. Instead of being arrows used to overcome the enemy they are being used by the enemy to wreak destruction. Instead of being used to establish righteousness and justice they are being used to bring forth lawlessness and rebellion.

Psalm 128:3 talks about children being like olive plants around our table. A table is a place of nurishment, sustenance, community and even a place to establish covenant. Olives are a staple in the middle eastern culture. They provide fuel for light, oil for cooking and medicinal purposes, they're even used for making soap. This olive plant, which are children are to be like, is a valuable, essential property. They are an important, central resource.
What happened to these olives?
How can we insure that our olive plants are not being damaged and rendered useless instead of useful and life giving?
As a mother of 5 I treasure the perspective of heaven. I declare that my children are a gift from the LORD. I declare that they are a reward and that they will be arrows that bring great destruction and havoc to the enemy's camp. I also declare that they are fruitful olive shoots.
I have many years to tend to them ensuring that are cultivated properly because it's my responsibility. And thanks be to God that it's not just up to me but He provides a community of faith to aid in the cultivation process.
It takes a community to raise a child. Let's all pitch in so that there will be less showing up in places of destruction and more being redeemed from the pit.
shalom
Elaine

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Amen sister! I agree!

3:56 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home