rebuilding...restoring...renewing

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Fat Heart

I was reading through Psalm 119 today and stumbled across a passage that arrested my attention. Listen to this...
"Their heart is covered with fat, But I delight in Your law."
Through out the Psalm the writer is fixated on the statutes and law of the Lord. He longs to walk fully in God's boundaries, in what God decrees as just, in God's customs and regulations. He wants to conform the pattern of His life after God's blueprint. This is the writer's constant request to YHWH.
In contrast to this are other people who live their lives according to their own desires. Through their living their hearts become fattened or callous/unfeeling.
When I read the word fat and then looked it up in the Hebrew translation I immediately thought of Daniel in the courts of Babylon and how he was enticed to eat the fat of the king's table. I paralleled that with our lives here in North America. We have so much at our disposal to fatten our hearts so that we are numbed to the laws, decrees and statutes of the Lord. We fatten ourselves through our endless consumption of goods and in effect cause other lands to be in want. We fatten our hearts through the things that we allow ourselves to watch - we can ingest hours and hours of T.V., video games, computer stuff and barely tolerate 1/2 an hour a day in God's word. I could go on and on but I won't.
Suffice it to say this little verse has pierced my heart. I hope it does yours as well.
Shalom
Elaine G

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I hear this.
My heart is pierced..

2:19 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home